Nothing kicks off the grilling season more than something lemony, fresh and garlicky. This grilled chicken will deliver on the herbaceous, bright notes, and pairs wonderfully with the clean basil-lemon couscous.
Prep the Couscous Salad:
- 1 cup pearled couscous
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 cups boiling water (See package directions)
- 1 (15-oz.) can small garbanzo beans (I used dried/cooked), rinsed well and drained
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
- 2 - 3 shallots, chopped
Place the couscous and turmeric in a large bowl and mix. Pour on the boiling water, stir, and immediately cover the bowl with a large plate or plastic wrap. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and fluff the couscous with a fork. Let cool.
Meanwhile, make the dressing:
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Generous seasoning freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Place the pine nuts and unpeeled garlic cloves in a small skillet and toast over medium heat, tossing often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Watch them carefully because they can easily burn. Let the pine nuts cool, then mix them into the couscous along with the beans, tomatoes, basil, and red onion.
Smash and mince the garlic. Place the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously. Pour over the couscous mixture and toss well. Let marinate at least 30 min. before serving. Cover and chill if longer than 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.
Prep the chicken!
Garlic Lemon Marinade:
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 Tbls lemon zest strips (from 2 lemons)
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ - ½ tsp red chile flakes
- 1 Tbls chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano (or fresh thyme)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, until salt is dissolved. Place chicken breast in a large ziptop bag, and pour in marinade. Seal bag, and massage the marinade into the chicken. Let chicken chill in the fridge for at least an hour or two.
When ready to grill, shake off any excess marinade clinging to the chicken, and grill for about 4 min. each side, until internal temp registers at around 160º - 165º. Let rest 5 min. and serve over couscous salad.